Answers to the question "Why live?"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Answers to the question "Why live?"

Post by Cat on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:30 pm

I saw this question asked on youtube with a few interesting responses.

One man said that we are here to listen to each other. He worked for a crisis hotline, and one woman told him that he was the only person who had ever really listened to her problems. I thought this was an interesting answer, because I think a lot of the time we all struggle to find the "right" answers to things, the "right" perspectives and courses of action - but at the end of the day we are all coming from such varied perspectives and have such complex viewpoints, that discussion comes down to an appreciation of the activity of listening itself, and simply sharing.

Another girl was a history student, and said that she looked at her existence as a by-product of all the historical events that have occurred up to this exact moment. For good or bad, all of them led up to her existing - so she felt that she owes it to history to continue to exist, despite not knowing what the end result is.

Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Answers to the question "Why live?"

Post by RBM on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:43 pm

Hmmm, both individuals had a grasp on The Big Truth - to make choices in the form of either self-centered choices or choices to benefit Others.

In the former case, I call that EGO-centered and in the latter case, I call that love, as in caring and compassion for others.

What's generally missed in most cultures and even to a greater degree in Westernized cultures, is that Physical Reality as part of the Larger Consciousness System(LCS), is vested in each individual being successful in existence. This doesn't mean in material goods, but in a spiritual sense. This is because each individual is part and parcel of the LCS, itself.
RBM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat on Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:10 pm

RBM wrote:Hmmm, both individuals had a grasp on The Big Truth - to make choices in the form of either self-centered choices or choices to benefit Others.

In the former case, I call that EGO-centered and in the latter case, I call that love, as in caring and compassion for others.

What's generally missed in most cultures and even to a greater degree in Westernized cultures, is that Physical Reality as part of the Larger Consciousness System(LCS), is vested in each individual being successful in existence. This doesn't mean in material goods, but in a spiritual sense. This is because each individual is part and parcel of the LCS, itself.

So you mean spiritual success is having an other-focused mindset?

What would the LCS look like if each of us were?
Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Cat, what is your answer to the question posed: "Why Live?"

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:56 pm

melodiccolor wrote:Cat, what is your answer to the question posed:  "Why Live?"

After a few hours of processing, I came to realize another question I'd been asking, "Why Death" closely relates. The answer that came to me also provides an answer to why live.

This year has been a horrible one for me in that there have been lots of death and funerals. It's taken it's toll--7 gone so far and my premonition tells me it's not over yet. Hence my question.

The first answer that came to me is that without death, there could be no change, no evolving, no life. Just stasis. Imagine if the first primitive organisms simply were, without reproducing or perishing. Go forward to the present time and likely there would be no life at all, or at most, just a few organisms as events in the past have wiped out most life on earth and will continue to do so. Further, there is evidence that life is ubiquitous in this universe, developing wherever it can gain a foothold.

We are precious to the universe, all life is, a part of a greater whole. This is true without even considering spiritual and religious areas. Knowing that my individual life is ephimeral, but life itself as a whole continues, I will treasure every minute I have with the people in my life. Why Live? Because we all are treasures and we all matter on the larger scale, and that the time we have in this life is a gift. I intend to use mine well.

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:26 am

My first instinct was to say "self-actualization." To always keep seeking out new experiences, keep growing, staying open to life. But why do that? Why care about self-actualization?

And I think it is because self-actualization means more *life*, more vitality, added to the world.

I also agree with Jospeh Campbell's views on "The Rapture of Being Alive" and "The Soul's High Adventure"

https://vimeo.com/62378811

https://vimeo.com/62378613

"We're not saving the world, we're saving ourselves - and in doing that you save the world. The influence of a vital person vitalizes. Any world is a living world if it's alive, and the thing is to bring it to life."

Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:31 am

melodiccolor wrote:

After a few hours of processing, I came to realize another question I'd been asking, "Why Death" closely relates.  The answer that came to me also provides an answer to why live.

This year has been a horrible one for me in that there have been lots of death and funerals.  It's taken it's toll--7 gone so far and my premonition tells me it's not over yet.  Hence my question.

The first answer that came to me is that without death, there could be no change, no evolving, no life.  Just stasis.  Imagine if the first primitive organisms simply were, without reproducing or perishing.  Go forward to the present time and likely there would be no life at all, or at most, just a few organisms as events in the past have wiped out most life on earth and will continue to do so.  Further, there is evidence that life is ubiquitous in this universe, developing wherever it can gain a foothold.

We are precious to the universe, all life is, a part of a greater whole.  This is true without even considering spiritual and religious areas.  Knowing that my individual life is ephimeral, but life itself as a whole continues, I will treasure every minute I have with the people in my life.  Why Live?  Because we all are treasures and we all matter on the larger scale, and that the time we have in this life is a gift.  I intend to use mine well.

"Life is a gift" is a good thing to remember. Smile
Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by _Tristan_ on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:13 pm

if, before being born, you knew what you now know of life, would you still want to be born and live this life?

Is this life an endeavor that you would willingly chose?
_Tristan_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:25 pm

melodiccolor wrote:

After a few hours of processing, I came to realize another question I'd been asking, "Why Death" closely relates.  The answer that came to me also provides an answer to why live.

This year has been a horrible one for me in that there have been lots of death and funerals.  It's taken it's toll--7 gone so far and my premonition tells me it's not over yet.  Hence my question.

The first answer that came to me is that without death, there could be no change, no evolving, no life.  Just stasis.  Imagine if the first primitive organisms simply were, without reproducing or perishing.  Go forward to the present time and likely there would be no life at all, or at most, just a few organisms as events in the past have wiped out most life on earth and will continue to do so.  Further, there is evidence that life is ubiquitous in this universe, developing wherever it can gain a foothold.

We are precious to the universe, all life is, a part of a greater whole.  This is true without even considering spiritual and religious areas.  Knowing that my individual life is ephimeral, but life itself as a whole continues, I will treasure every minute I have with the people in my life.  Why Live?  Because we all are treasures and we all matter on the larger scale, and that the time we have in this life is a gift.  I intend to use mine well.

Tom Campbell's book, My Big TOE, explains the initial development of the first proto- consciousness in the eventual development of the Larger Consciousness System, through the logic of change and it's consequences.
RBM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top