The Habit of Happiness

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default The Habit of Happiness

Post by melodiccolor on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:05 pm

This excellent article arrived in one of my newsletters today and even if it wasn't written with HSP in mind, it seems especially relevant for us too (especially the part about energy and emotional sensitivity).

http://www.rodalewellness.com/mind-spirit/11-habits-of-the-happiest-people?cid=NL_RWRN_030216_11_Habits_Happiest_People&smartcode=YN_0008055872_0001544123

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: The Habit of Happiness

Post by jamminpianogirl on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:17 am

This is a helpful reminder and something I definitely could use lately, thank you! I like the idea of keeping resources handy to give yourself a happiness boost. Long ago my therapist recommended I create a comfort box that I could open any time I was in a negative place. I still have it hiding under my bed! These days my strategy is to wear jewelry (and tattoos!) with affirmations and symbols that cue me back into a positive focus when I'm getting too down about things.

jamminpianogirl

View user profile http://nymphaea-says.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:42 pm

What's really interesting is what happens when I'm in a happy place which is mostly all the time now. I don't get discouraged or frustrated when I can't get what I'm looking for. I just go on with life and down the road, what I couldn't get before just kind of falls into my lap without my even trying.

I think when you're in the space of inner peace, you just expect things to work out in their own way. Assumptions and expectations, either positive or negative have a way of happening. This is true of both conscious ones and subconscious ones you made long ago that still guide you.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Patwidge on Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:37 pm

It was an interesting article. All of the things listed there either are habits I took, try to follow and/or that I hope I will be able to follow in the future. They're groundwork, so to speak and it all helps to prevent creating additional hurt over present or future things.

melodiccolor wrote:I think when you're in the space of inner peace, you just expect things to work out in their own way.

To me (and I suppose it's a pretty obvious thought), a lot of the inner turmoil we experience comes from contradictions and resistance, and those can overlap. You know, emotional knots. Then you can get stuck in a pattern of reacting (aka when "buttons" are pushed; overwhelmed, flooded by emotions upon encountering an unconscious trigger.)
Negative beliefs about the future come from that, too. They're meant to protect you from the knots and stop you from confronting the hurts. When you do confront, you make direct contact with an emotion, whether it's pain, fear, grief... without any barriers.

Just some thoughts.

Patwidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bosharpe on Tue May 10, 2016 2:30 pm

I'm happiest when I'm being creative and relaxed. They both go hand in hand - being in a relaxed meditative state, not worrying or thinking too much but letting thoughts arise and come to you and with no pressure to actively be creative or come up with ideas.

I really like the list in the article above. For me I really have to force myself to adopt these habits consciously. At different times in the week some of the article pointers naturally occur to me as I'm quite conscious about myself & how I come across to others as well, but it's creating habits of them until they are 2nd nature practically which is the real trick. That's my goal anyway Smile

Last edited by bosharpe on Tue May 10, 2016 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

bosharpe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Tue May 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi bosharpe, it's been awhile. Welcome back. It looks like you're well on the way to establishing some of those habits.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bosharpe on Tue May 10, 2016 6:50 pm

Thank you Smile That's nice of you to say. I've been self-improving for 13 years now. I decided to start when I was at college when I was incredibly timid and nervous. I got a hold of as many self-help tapes as I could back then and away I went. I've just hit my 30s so I'm ramping up again now!

bosharpe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:46 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top