Answering the "what do you do?" question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Answering the "what do you do?" question

Post by Cat on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:08 am

Considering most of us here seem to prefer deeper and more off-the-wall topics than just talking about the weather or "what do you do" type conversation starters, I'm wondering if anyone has found a better way to respond to this question (or better questions to ask in the first place...). Not to mention it also just annoys me how much emphasis our culture places on career titles being one and the same with identities/self-worth.

Also thought this was interesting...this image is from an article about "highly offensive things Americans do that other countries don't" or something along those lines:

Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Answering the "what do you do?" question

Post by melodiccolor on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Really that innocuous question does have a lot to it. On the one hand it is a way to pigeonhole, but then people also do it by age, how we dress, speak, what religious group or ethnic group we belong to and many other ways.

On the other hand, it's a way to get people to talk about their lives, interests, experiences; to get to know someone. "Pigeonholing" is usually the way people start this process until they know someone better.

For many HSP, often there is no easy way to answer the question. But since we live now in such transitory times, it is also true of those who are not HSP as well. I think the question becomes thorny when someone is sensitive about being judged.

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:47 am

Good points! Smile Another idea I've had since posting this is...respond with the side-gig/hobby you are most passionate about (or most interested in talking about, most relevant to who you are, etc) regardless of what income it brings in or skill-level. Because that's ultimately what this question seems to be trying to get at it anyway.

Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Patwidge on Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:01 pm

I just read this:

"Whenever you are asked the "what do you do" question, answer: 'whatever it takes!"
I thought it was really funny and spot on.

Patwidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:12 am

Patwidge wrote:I just read this:

"Whenever you are asked the "what do you do" question, answer: 'whatever it takes!"
I thought it was really funny and spot on.

Hahaha I love that!

Cat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top