For those of us who use Skype

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default For those of us who use Skype

Post by melodiccolor on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:00 pm

How-To Geek’s Skype Account Got Hacked, and Skype Support Won’t Help
http://www.howtogeek.com/236350/how-to-geeks-skype-account-got-hacked-and-skype-support-wont-help/

If that happens to any of us, we need to immediately let everyone on our Skype list know so they can protect themselves by at least changing their pass words on the emails attached to Skype and to their Skype Accounts.

How-To Geek is an expert on computer security, so this is kind of scary. Shocked

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: For those of us who use Skype

Post by Zen on Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Lol...
I know the answer to this.

I wouldn't freak out and get scared and stuff. Smile
You're probably going to be OK. hehe.

"Hackers" want you to be afraid. Their whole scheme relies on smoke and mirrors and frankly, BS.
They capitalize on the mistrust people already have.

Protip: You're more likely to get your account back somewhere if you buy things from that company/site and save your receipts.

You can't say "I know the original email address it was changed from" and stuff like that as verification. The hacker also has access to all those things!
That's probably how they gained entry to begin with if they managed to scam someone on the support team.

I get literally thousands of support tickets a week claiming to be people they aren't and they all have sap stories and other crap about how they got hacked or lost the password. Sorting out who is a scammer from a legitimate user is not always easy. There is a ton of misinformation going around for the public about internet moderation.

Online Support and moderation is an art, not a science--there is never a right or 100% clear answer. Unless someone does it themselves for months or years, it's really hard to get a feel for it.
It's not really the same as online security from a technical standpoint, as it's mostly about the human spirit and making order out of human mental chaos.
Zen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top