HSP and Achieving, what does it mean to you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default HSP and Achieving, what does it mean to you?

Post by melodiccolor on Mon May 18, 2015 7:55 pm

Denmarkguy wrote his latest article: http://www.hspnotes.com/2015/05/hsps-and-challenges-of-ambition-and.html and poses this question:

What does Achievement mean, to YOU?" Have you done the inner work to truly define-- "from the center of the onion"-- what your ambitions are? If not, is something keeping you from that? If so, what?

Here is my reply to this and his article:

Peter, what comes to mind is you are achieving quite a bit. By simply being yourself and sharing your thoughts through your articles and blog, you're providing much to the HSP community that can help others. If your thoughts change just one life or two, help someone past where they're struggling, isn't that achievement enough? That and being able to meet life's basic financial needs....

I define achievement simply; it is simply making progress towards a goal, any goal I might have. This can be anything from inventing a recipe to overcoming a physical disability compounded by serious injury. I gain great satisfaction from the progress and final arrival at any goal, no matter how small. I don't strive for wealth, power or fame; financial security enough to pay for life's unexpected expenses plus expected ones and a bit left over is more than enough. Status means little to me, so achievement has to do with internally derived goals, not societal ones that are often placed on people or internalized by them. Just a few thoughts.

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: HSP and Achieving, what does it mean to you?

Post by Patwidge on Wed May 20, 2015 4:43 am

In our literary course and more specifically the novel we are studying now, there is the idea that most lose themselves because of a shift in the way they perceive their selves relating to achieving a goal.
It is an idea I have been playing with but I can feel that if we break it down in this way, one could say that in the puzzle that makes us who we are, there are pieces that pertain to us, that will die with us, and other pieces that were there before (family patterns...) and that will stay not affected by time. Dreams are the merging of that, something that transcends us and pushes us towards the greater and the potential we hold...
Everyone has dreams. It is why.

And, achievements are at the other end of the spectrum.
In the ideal course of things, when you achieve a dream, in that achievement it opens up the "next step", the continuation of that dream, the next achievement? So you always have something to look forward to and to propel you further on your path.

However, as that novel seems to suggest, that idea is being lost. (reflection in inner...) So people want to achieve for the sake of achievement, and they focus on the end result rather than on the process. They forget that the process is most meaningful; and that the achievement holds importance simply in being the step to propel us towards being more harmonious with who we are.

Interestingly, the novel also implies that dreams are more meaningful because once they are achieved, the potential of the dream is gone and you are restrained by limits. (Our teacher gave the example: colons find a new island, and are amazed because of the endless possibilities it offers, but once you built the first house there, you can see how much more houses you can build, and therefore by starting to achieve the dream you created limits.) But I don't agree. I think that creating limits is the pitfall of seeking the achievement for the achievement's sake. Potential is limitless, no matter. So if one believes the process is most important, then you will never find yourself bound by limits in yourself? The dreams will come to you... and achievements, too...
Patwidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Wed May 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Basically a reminder that it's the journey that is important, not the end. It's also a great point that it's a mix of learned ideals and internal ones that define this issue like pretty much all others. Great post.

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zen on Thu May 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Isn't something a success and achievement if you decide it is?

Somewhere along the lines it becomes about passing tests and challenges and standards and measuring and competing rather than just doing what you do like you probably did when you were 5.

We come up with some crazy ass complicated ways to measure people and judge each others merit when we're in groups.

I'm a pretty ambitious person, but things only go right when I don't actually try for whatever reason and just gallivant around like a moron. Then I find achievements happening I didn't really plan on and the ones I actually started out on and planned on don't go according to plan...

While other people are busy judging and setting standardized limits, you can get lots of real life in like when you were 5 and didn't adhere to the concept of failure.

Zen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum