The diversity of crowd energies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default The diversity of crowd energies

Post by Patwidge on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Strictly speaking, the French word “flâneur” is someone who idles or strolls. But the poet Charles Baudelaire put his own shade of meaning on it. “The crowd is his element,” he wrote in 1863, “as the air is that of birds and water of fishes. His passion and his profession are to become one flesh with the crowd. For the perfect flâneur, for the passionate spectator, it is an immense joy to set up house in the heart of the multitude, amid the ebb and flow of movement, in the midst of the fugitive and the infinite. To be away from home and yet to feel oneself everywhere at home; to see the world, to be at the centre of the world, and yet to remain hidden from the world -- impartial natures which the tongue can but clumsily define. The spectator is a prince who everywhere rejoices in his incognito.”
-- Sophia Dembling, The Introvert’s Way

I find that I feel accordingly the rare times I'm in a crowd... The last one I was in was at a museum's, it was the very euphoric kind of energy, very tiring too. I usually like crowds when it is the weekend- people are way more relaxed, and it's the polar opposite on weekdays.
I also remember one day at school, the day of the school's birthday. We all felt very moved, and for once, I'd say, united.

I love that quote above. Baudelaire was someone very tortured, and yet he thrived in crowds...

What are your experiences with energy crowds? How do you deal with them?
Patwidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: The diversity of crowd energies

Post by Patwidge on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Today brought me a bit more insight into that, so I'll share and hopefully it'll get the topic going.
I was visiting a foreign town, and, oh my, what an agitated city, I have never seen the likes of it! freakout I had a bit of an overwhelm, and as I was observing the crowd, it reminded me of my conversation with Melodi and this thread. So I decided to immerse myself and open to feeling. (Rational voice was telling me it was stupid to focus on the overwhelm trigger but in the end it made it go away!)

At first it was really difficult, because I was getting lots of confusion and confusing things, because I was singling people out and feeling everything at the same time, but I persevered and then it was much more smooth.

So the first one felt... I will just use my images and say it felt like when you eat croissants at eleven a.m. on sundays with family, or when you are watching your best friend at his soccer training before an important match...
Then we arrived at a plaza, and the word describing the atmosphere best was "anticipation".
Rational voice kicked in again, saying I must have been wrong in my read.
We got on walking and we encountered some people marching to protest about something and going towards that same plaza.
Their energy was angry, and determined, all as one, uniformed, it was interesting, and I could see some orangy-yellow steam coming from the crowd.

It was interesting.
Patwidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top