Melodic Musings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Melodic Musings

Post by melodiccolor on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:09 pm

This is a blog where I can post miscellanious thoughts, intuitions and insights. This one came to me while driving and processing a chat yesterday where the other person involved was dealing with a few people having problems with his store of knowledge at hand. I've had people marvel at how much I know, how long I retain things and how good my memory is. They've made comments usually about thinking themselves dumb in comparison, when I read sense, that is not true at all. Often those who make such comments are in themselves very brilliant individuals, gifted. But things are not retained, but flow into short term memory and then out again. The insight I had is to why this is, and the why makes it clear what solutions are to this too for them.

First a bit of background; I have noticed in times of high emotions that I have trouble accessing my memory, my mind just goes blank. Even if I felt relaxed on the surface, any anxiety underneath would do it, block access.

I have also noticed that in others too, turmoil and distraction either on the surface or underneath as a preset can play havoc with accurately remembering stuff, especially longer term.

What is required to retain things fully is twofold. One is to be fully in the moment, that is fully focused on what is happening and not on all the worries and emotions connected to the past that influences stuff such as the worry "I am not going to do well on this test" for example. The next is to process anything that happens fully, giving yourself time to go through it and not stopping short. Sleep is essential to this process for it's turning out we do major processing during that time too.

To focus fully in the present on what you're experiencing or learning, you may need to do centering methods first, to set aside all the background clutter. It feels like cognitive ability and retention has as much to do with emotional clarity as it does neurological wiring.

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Melodic Musings

Post by Patwidge on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:03 am

I had noticed some of these things, too. It's really interesting!

melodiccolor wrote:

What is required to retain things fully is twofold.  One is to be fully in the moment, that is fully focused on what is happening and not on all the worries and emotions connected to the past that influences stuff such as the worry "I am not going to do well on this test" for example.  The next is to process anything that happens fully, giving yourself time to go through it and not stopping short.  Sleep is essential to this process for it's turning out we do major processing during that time too.

To focus fully in the present on what you're experiencing or learning, you may need to do centering methods first, to set aside all the background clutter.  It feels like cognitive ability and retention has as much to do with emotional clarity as it does neurological wiring.

I'll have to remember that. It makes sense that if we try to learn something, but at the same time emotions/other things distract us, it will be more difficult to do it...
Patwidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default The Line

Post by melodiccolor on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:42 pm

When one lives one's life with physical disabilities, you learn certain things.  One thing I learned early with a lifetime of dealing with it is there is a line that if I crossed, I would take physical damage and undo any progress I had made to increasing physical stamina and ability.  I also learned early that to stay too far from that line, I would weaken from not using what physical abilities I did have.  The trick is then to always be as close to that line as possible without crossing it for over it or too far from it would cause it to move more into the severe limit territory. Doing so would move that line further and further over into the side of no limits until there seemed to be very few limits indeed.

What I am coming to realize is that this also applies to more than the physical, but also the emotional, cognitive and spiritual aspects as well.   For example, if someone is dealing with a trauma in their past, trying to avoid it or more will push that line further back, making them more vulnerable to injury.  If they push too far trying to get past it, there will be a rebound and much pain too.  A cognitive example is trying to learn something and failing, fearing to try again.  Trying too hard to get past that will block while avoiding will atrophy areas of the brain unused.

Can you think of more examples of the line?

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Riana on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:42 am

A simple example would be when you exercise, to know when you are challenging your body to push further and when you are taking it too far, causing injuries to yourself.
Emotionally I think there are feelings, memories I'm scared to feel. I skirt around them often, at a safe distance from the line. But sometimes events happen in my life now that trigger those memories and then I can't help but feeling them, which is a good thing in itself. Maybe those events help to push the line a bit further, although I think they can also make you cross the line and as a result, force you to deal with very overwhelming emotions indeed, giving you panic attacks even.
Spiritually, I think there is the challenge to stay in the present, to stay grounded, and to not go floating off somewhere. I think spirituality is often used to escape your life, your problems, your fears. If you push yourself too far in this, I think it will backfire and make you fall back to earth again from a rather high altitude.
Riana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 pm

Some good points about the emotional and spiritual aspects of this. It also shows how all the different areas are connected and even if you're dealing with the line in just one area, it may influence all of them.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Here's an interesting thing I learned about conditioned responses to certain situations; it's hard to even spot it's happening while it's happening because your focus is immersed in how you feel and what you want to happen rather than noticing the underlying pattern. Clarity often comes after or much later, after you've fully removed yourself from the situation if you're willing to look further.

So, the key to breaking the cycle of this is learning to stop, look outside the response or reaction to see what is happening. Since your focus is pulled in, this is not easy to do. I guess the only thing I can do is keep trying, now that I spotted it. Awareness is the first step. If I find myself reacting, trying to push through, chances are I'm in that cycle; the same goes for any of you.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Patwidge on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:19 am

About the line... I thought of another one: the line between being brutal honest and hurting people's feelings. It is a very thin line, and it is difficult to not cross it because every person has different limits that you don't know beforehand.... only way is reading as you are talking...
Sometimes, when I have something to say to a person, I'll say it. I usually cross that line, even if I don't mean it. When what I have to say is less important, I tend to not speak...

Not about being brutal honest but I find myself listening to people a lot atm, about deep issues, things they noticed, etc. It is very interesting, but I feel like they only scratch the surface, and don't go deeper into their views because they are not aware of other connections to what they are saying or just plain lack of self-confidence. I see a line between simply listening and interacting to make them say more and actually creating a connection that will make them see deeper into the implications on their opinions...
Patwidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Patwidge wrote:I see a line between simply listening and interacting to make them say more and actually creating a connection that will make them see deeper into the implications on their opinions...

It will work for you too in that way. Great line to notice; great insight.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:08 pm

MC wrote:What is required to retain things fully is twofold. One is to be fully in the moment, that is fully focused on what is happening and not on all the worries and emotions connected to the past that influences stuff such as the worry "I am not going to do well on this test" for example. The next is to process anything that happens fully, giving yourself time to go through it and not stopping short. Sleep is essential to this process for it's turning out we do major processing during that time too.

To focus fully in the present on what you're experiencing or learning, you may need to do centering methods first, to set aside all the background clutter. It feels like cognitive ability and retention has as much to do with emotional clarity as it does neurological wiring.

This is also consistent with Tom Campbell's TOE model, which indicates memory is held in consciousness. As a result it is provided to us avatars as a data stream, from the 'higher self', located outside this reality and in the larger system.

Being 'in the moment' is focused intent and high conscious awareness.
RBM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:50 pm

Even though I gave this it's own thread, the topic is one of my musings so I'm cross linking it here: http://funhsps.niceboard.org/t4107-violence-ways-to-look-at-it#58441 Violence, ways to look at it.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum