My nontoxic home cleaning methods

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default My nontoxic home cleaning methods

Post by melodiccolor on Wed May 07, 2014 9:49 pm

My nontoxic home cleaning methods:

For general cleaning of counters, sinks, toilet seats:  mix: 1/3 white vinigar with 2/3 water, a couple of good squirts of an all natural dish detergent and 1/4 tsp or so food extract for scent (I use mint)  Rinse after.

For toilets, just spray pure white vinigar, let sit at least 20 min then clean the bowl.

For cleaning mirrors:  I use a microfiber cloth that is designed for glass surfaces (less knape);  for tougher spots, I just dampen first with water then wipe with the cloth.  This works well for windows that are not too dirty, other smooth surfaces such as monitor and tv screens, faucets.  For dirtier windows, I use Folex, an enzyme cleaner that is not too scented.  I find it at Raleys, and Home Depot;  I've spotted it in other places.  Avoid heavily perfumed enzyme cleaners such as you find in pet stores, and Fabreeze, etc.

For all pet messes on carpets, floors, furniture, walls and windows: Folex

For removing soap scum: Borax Powder.  Just sprinkle, dampen or use with the general cleaner, and wipe.

For dusting, I use a microfiber cloth.  For dusting vertically, plus window hangings, walls, etc, I use something called a static duster, but I can't find anyone who sells those now.  It's similar to a feather duster, only with fine nylon fibers that the dust clings to.  It works well and a set comes usually with a long one with an extensible handle for reaching high spaces.

For hardened on messes, soak overnight with just water.  Sometimes just putting a fairly damp paper towell or cloth over it and waiting does all the work.  Water is a powerful cleanser all by itself.

I do use baking soda for deoderizing.  To make the house smell really good, mix it with dried fennel seed, sprinkle on the  carpet before vacuuming.  Dried mint would probably work well too.

Besides not exposing your family to unnecessary toxins, you're not adding them to our waterways or further polluting, and you're saving a lot of money.

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: My nontoxic home cleaning methods

Post by melodiccolor on Sat May 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Here's an article on more ways to use baking soda and vinegar in cleaning.

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/the-2-ingredient-powerhouse-that-cleans-almost-115953009700.html

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top