how much of news on the net is just tall tales?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default how much of news on the net is just tall tales?

Post by melodiccolor on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 am

The Year We Broke the Internet (link)

So many stories taken as fact and gone viral on the web and picked up by serious journalists were in fact hoaxes. Lots of recent examples plus an explanation of why this happens.

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: how much of news on the net is just tall tales?

Post by tezorian on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:30 am

The best explanation i've heard is that everything is going so fast, there is no time to check up on stories.
Which is of course bullshit as well. There is time, but everyone needs to be first, to keep the ratings up.
There is no requirement for quality anymore, just as long as it sells.

One of the talkshows, Jimmy Kimmel i think, occasionally shows "The news". 30 or more news-channels reporting on the same subject. While that is not such a surprise, the fact that they all use the same words/sentences IS.

It is the same on the web. If Thought=Cool { POST } . There is no checking for validity, because there is no time. What i've also noticed is that a shocking factor also works great. If the story is considered outrageous, people WANT it to be real and ASSUME it is real. They don't even consider checking its validity, because it is true in their mind.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Yep. I'd noticed this long ago; one reason I tend to ignore it as best I can.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anarkandi on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:09 am

I am one of the few party poopers around facebook who check up and critizice when people share fake stories. Its very easy to spot them. Often because theres multiple versions of it around, all used for different purposes.
anarkandi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:40 pm

It's not just news on the net apparently; today's example shows how far news has fallen even in mainstream venues.

The security expert from NBC’s hugely misleading Sochi hack story explains what really happened (link)

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm

You're not going to read this  But you'll probably share it anyway (link)  Another reason things spread so fast that are irrelevant, lol.  So much spamming.  freakout

Just for clarification;  I do read fully every link and information I share.  It's always surprised me how many do not.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by soupdragon1973 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 am

seems to be alot of fake stories doing the round on Facebook at present
soupdragon1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:35 am

anarkandi wrote:I am one of the few party poopers around facebook who check up and critizice when people share fake stories. Its very easy to spot them. Often because theres multiple versions of it around, all used for different purposes.

Me too! Very Happy It's amazing how many people forward junk news stuff to other people's e-mail or post bogus stuff on facebook immediately without even checking the validity of it. It's also surprising how many people don't appreciate it when you let them know about it. Probably why I don't get many of those e-mails anymore.

The thing I've noticed now is the posting of "old" news stories from sometimes five, six years or more ago and people commenting and acting like they just happened. Crime articles especially, with comments like "I hope this guy goes to jail!" Well sweetie since this story is from 2007, 10 seconds on Google would have told you he got life in prison.

Just more proof we live in a fast food, instant gratification, can't be bothered now and if I get it wrong who cares society. Sad really.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff.--The Tenth Doctor, Blink
Reamsie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:49 am

Oh, a follow-up.  Probably one of the most misrepresented and misreported stories ever and EVERYONE has heard it is the Stella Liebeck hot coffee lawsuit against McDonald's.  The media so distorted the facts of the case (which happened in like 1992 or 1993) that a documentary called "Hot Coffee" has been made about it.  If you have a Netflix account you can watch it free and I highly recommend it.  So many jokes have been made about this case and this poor woman because the media never reported the full story like the fact that she suffered THIRD DEGREE BURNS AND WAS HOSPITALIZED from this coffee.  The lawsuit came about because McDonald's refused to pay her medical bills, which was all she wanted.  Like a typical big corporation - they blew her off.  Here is a link to a short interview with her daughter (Mrs. Liebeck passed away in 2004) about the story.[/color]

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff.--The Tenth Doctor, Blink
Reamsie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bosharpe on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 am

hmm... urban myths, hearsay and mis-info. We've got snopes I guess for some things. I tend to cross-reference and scroll down comment sections to see what people have said, especially when buying things online.

We all know media reporting changes depending on what publication you read or country you live in. I love this meme that sums up my feeling here- http://weknowmemes.com/2012/07/dont-believe-everything-you-read-on-the-internet/

One of my favorite urban myths I recently read was the matrix lawsuit brought about by Sophia Stewart. I remember the outrage I felt when I read about this only to find it was BS later.  Embarassed
bosharpe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Live and learn....well at least some of us online  lol!  About those comments; a lot of those are fakes, deliberate misinformation campaigns, often by competitors or trolls. If you find the same comment about a product on many sites and reviews, chances are it's fake.

I had this experience when buying a dishwasher and found only one review comment about it after I bought it and had some problems with it. It was way off the charts and it showed up everywhere from product reviews to Consumer Reports online. Meantime Consumer Reports itself gave it a much better and objective review. As for the problem I was having with the product, it was resolved fairly quickly. Interestingly not only was that comment showing everywhere; it was often the ONLY comment on that product. On one other site, I did find another comment and it seemed more genuine. I have seen gamed comments often online about restaurants too.

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:04 pm

This is a very long article about a well orchestrated disinformation campaign that went international and even offline into mainstream news internationally. It's just one example of thousands and it's eye opening. Even the article's author was targeted in the end. Even if it takes more than one reading to make it to the end, read it all.... there are surprises right to the end.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/magazine/the-agency.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below&_r=1&utm_source=howtogeek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

The Agency by Adrian Chen

melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top