Amazon phishing scam

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Amazon phishing scam

Post by Samt03 on Sat May 12, 2012 5:53 pm

I posted this on my live journal a bit ago, Mel asked me to post it over here and I finally am taking a break from other stuff long enough to format it in BBC.

Amazon.com - Your Cancellation (121-4722-892)
From:"order-update@amazon.com" <order-update@amazon.com>
To: *******

Dear Customer,

Your order has been successfully canceled. For your reference, here's a summary of your order:

You just canceled order 121-4722-892 placed on May 4, 2012.

1 "Contrivance"; 2001, Special Edition
By: Colette Armstrong

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Thank you for visiting Amazon.com!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection
http://www.amazon.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem here? The part underlined is a link. It will link you to a phishing site (may contain keyloggers not sure). Be forewarned if you get a e-mail about an Amazon order you did not place. While yes, I sell on Amazon, the account this e-mail came to is in no way associated with my Amazon account. They correctly figured out my Amazon name from my store name as my store is 's/////' but sent their scam to the wrong e-mail.

Be sure you ALWAYS check the address you are going to log into BEFORE you enter any account information. If it's not the site you want to log into do not enter your information. If you have an account question go directly to the site as you normally would and log in from there, then check your account.

Very important
, this appears to have come from an amazon.com address. It did not. View 'full headers' and it will show you this came from 'susan.oldmeadow-hall@au.ey.com' who is routing the e-mail to make it look 'official.

Keep in mind, when in doubt, always ask WHY you got something if you didn't expect it. Amazon holds banking information so like with Paypal be very very careful.

(I've removed my store name for personal reasons, but this is pretty much what I posted on lj)
Samt03

View user profile http://ravenhillfarmandmead.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

default Re: Amazon phishing scam

Post by melodiccolor on Sat May 12, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks for the warning, especially the address looking like it came from Amazon. They are getting sophisticated!

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top