Post by Rho1334 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:06 am

An intersting article about the us economy

http://energybulletin.net/node/23259
Rho1334

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/vampolt

Back to top Go down

default Re: A comparison

Post by melodiccolor on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:26 pm

What are your thoughts on it Rho? I can see a lot of tendencies happening that he described, and I have for at least 20 years.

But there are some things he didn't cover. When the Soviet Union collapsed, it didn't take down a large chunk of other countries' incomes with it. If the United States go, so will much of the world. This interdependency gives much of the world incentive to ensure this doesn't happen to the extent described in the article.

While collapse is unlikely, serious and protracted shrinkage is not and we are in one right now obviously. I expect there will be others as well until there are serious changes made.

These are creating the conditions needed for extremist to thrive and for massive loss of freedoms of people around the world.

There is much to consider.

Absurdity is one of the great joys of life.

All you need for a rich life is to see more.
melodiccolor
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rho1334 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:43 pm

I think the guy is right. I personally think the US is on its way to a collapse. THe US has been spending way outside its means and i think we need to either cut back or find a way to make the money we are spending...
Rho1334

Back to top Go down

Post by Safari on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:17 pm

Scary article. Shocked
Safari

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rho1334 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:29 pm

Definately makes ya think doesnt it?
Rho1334

Back to top Go down

Post by adain on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am

oooooo! I do think though many of the other countries "dependent" on the American market are in in some what of a better position to survive though, but definitely an interesting article.
adain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:47 pm

I am terrified of the mess our economy is in right now. I live in a poor state. We have virtually no middle class anymore. It is either upper class or poverty in most of these areas here. Luckily for us thus far we have treaded in the middle. But I see bad times ahead.
jaded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Melania on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks for the article, Rho. I've been thinking along similar lines for a while now, although I do try to be optimistic.

My boyfriend and I have very little money... We just went on food stamps (would you believe 10% of Americans are on food stamps???), I just went bankrupt, and our power was cut at our house in the spring of 2008 (but they do turn it on in the winter because it's so cold here in Northern Wisconsin). As far as the power situation, though... fortunately we do have a generator, an inverter, and four batteries, plus they never cut our gas, and what's very exciting is we're going to get our first solar panel very soon. :^D We still haven't paid back the power company, and I'm not sure if we will (or if my boyfriend will also go bankrupt). Boy, it feels weird writing all of this! Sometimes I feel very down about our situation, but most of the time I feel plenty of hope because we're doing some things right, I think... Our pottery is selling more and more... I'm so close to having my art teaching license (although I may or may not end up becoming an art teacher, but at least it will be an option)... My boyfriend is gaining all kinds of practical skills in building things, fixing things, growing things (like, he usually fixes the car when there's a problem, he has a garden, he takes care of the chickens, he made a clay extruder with different dies so we wouldn't have to buy one... sheesh, I could go on... he also has plans to build a windmill...).

Anyway, but where was I going with this??? Well, I hope that more and more Americans will learn to live more simply, and I don't mean in exactly the same way that my boyfriend and I live, but just more simply in whatever ways they can. Of course, I'd prefer for this to happen out of choice, and not because people are forced into it suddenly.

~Melanie
Melania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rho1334 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:18 am

Mel...thanks for sharing. I myself have tightened my belt. Time are tough and jobs are scares. I think America is learning the hard leason of living inside its means. Hope all get better for ya hun.

Rho
Rho1334

Back to top Go down

Post by Melania on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks, Rho! You're very kind. Welcome to the board. :^D

~Mel
Melania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:01 pm

I am looking for a job myself. I am gonna have to ride a bus, I don't know how to drive. We are drowning..how did this happen? The family...stay at home Mama isn't possible anymore for survival. I fear worse times before it gets better.
jaded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:48 pm

I clicked on this link, blind. Read the OP text but not the link itself. Read mel's comment and Rho's reply, and when I saw 'collapse' I immediately scrolled back up to read the link - and I knew - EB + collapse =Dmitry !!

I first heard of him through theoildrum.com (TOD). There is a serious contingent of very vocal and very very articulate 'doomers' there. Whenever I see someone pointing to his site I check it out. But I can only take so much.

I tend to go quickly from 'this is the problem' to 'fix identified problem', so constant talk grates on my nerves - even if I think the talk is correct.

Dimitry's site has basically hit the nail on the head to date. I personally have yet to find a significant bad call in his thesis.

My only consolation is I hope, that's all it is, hope it's a slow collapse. I figure I've got about 25 years this life and if it's slow things won't get too bad in the duration.

Next life, *shrug*.
RBM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top